Friday, February 25, 2011

on children growing..

I've been thinking about something a sweet friend of mine said the other day. She's a grandma and therefor knows lots of things I do not. She said her children grew up and disappeared into adults. It pulled at something in my heart when she said it. Will my beautiful children really grow up and disappear into some ubiquitous pool of independent adulthood?I suppose they probably will. At least to some degree. I mean, the alternative isn't very attractive. A thirty five year old, single, unemployed child living in the basement? No... no. I don't want that.
It's hard to think about sometimes. These little ones growing up. I'm starting to realize that this business of raising children is really all about me. Sounds funny doesn't it? But it's true. They won't remember how their birth shook me to the core (in a good way) and changed the way I was able to love.
These lessons I'm learning about giving and loving and serving are changing me. They won't remember themselves as small children. Those lovely memories belong to their mother. A treasure more valuable than.. well anything really.
Hopefully the memories they take out of childhood will be flavored with love and joy and belonging. I would love nothing more than to see those things passed on to beautiful grandchildren. So yes, I suppose my children will grow up and disappear into adulthood someday. I'll try to be ready for it when it happens. But, thank heavens, it isn't going to happen today.

3 comments:

Kyla Armstrong said...

Oh well now you've gone and made me cry! It's so true. No 35 year old single children in my basement please, but I do hope they don't just disappear into adulthood completely. I'll take a happy medium - married and living in the next town over? :)

jenerekfamily said...

Likey. And thanks for putting a nice POSITIVE spin on the whole tragedy of it all. :) At least I know I can share it with the Lord (and hopefully some of it with my husband.)

Heather said...

Thinking about it makes me wonder if my parents get all sad remembering us as little kids. I was one of those little ones who disappeared into an adult!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You have such an ability to say what's on your mind in such a beautiful and inspiring way!!