Sunday, March 15, 2009

bokeh anyone?

Here's a question for all my lovely friends that are more skilled in photography than I am.

And  I know you're out there.  

I've seen your photos.

So here goes.  How do I get that fabulous bokeh that I see in  so many of your pics?  I can't seem to make my camera do it.  Granted my camera is currently much smarter than I am. Stop laughing.  I'm trying to change that.  It's a Nikon D60 and I. Love. My. Awesome. Camera.  It makes me happy.   Do I have to be on full manual?  Do I have the wrong lens? I've tried it on both my 18-55 mm and my 55-200 mm lens.  I can't get my aperture to go below 3 or so.  This relationship is so complicated!!  Feel free to advise.  I'm not proud and we (my camera and I) need help.  I know.  I know.  I should take a photography class.  And I will.  Just as soon as I stop having children.

I thought this photo was so pretty.  Who knew water balloons could hold the light like that?

4 comments:

Leah Miller said...

I guess I'll be the first to respond, though I am sure you have other friends who know a lot more about photography than I do So, I think it would be the lens. Maybe you need one that the aperture can be set to 1.8 or 1.4 or lower. I have a cheap 50 mm Canon lens that goes down to 1.8. OR use photoshop to lens blur the whole photograph except the item you want in focus. It doesn't look quite as good, but almost!

Bonnie said...

I'll admit, I know nothing about photography. But, if you've ever looked at pioneer woman's website, she has a whole section devoted to photography. http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/
She talks about bokeh a lot. And that's how I know what it is. I just use my camera to point, auto-focus, click, and hope I catch one of my kids in the picture. :)

littlest said...

i know nothing about photography BUT that picture is awesome!

Nicole said...

Hey! It looks like you got nice bokeh in that one! With your lens stopped down to 3.5 (I'm guessing that's the lowest your kit lens can go) you SHOULD still be able to get bokeh. It also has to do with the distance from your subject. The closer you are to your subject, the more bokeh you will get (and i use bokeh loosely here....most people are just referring to the out of focus areas) But i see many have recommended PW for this topic. I concur. Good luck!