Sunday, January 11, 2009

My life

I'm trying not to turn this blog into a homeschooling stream of consciousness. But honestly, that's my life right now.  What else can I write about?  Teaching my  kids has become my work, hobby, passion, entertainment etc..etc..  Is this healthy?  Probably not.  Am I happy?  Not quite sure how to answer that.  It's complicated.  I love teaching them.  I know this is what I'm supposed to be doing right now.   Some days it's really fun and other days, not so much.  I can see awesome results in so many ways and it's only been two months.  I love the curriculum (more about that later), the flexiblity, and just the joy of learning. I'm getting to know my kids on a whole new level.  I'm also seeing some of my own weaknesses with greater clarity.  That part's not so fun..in fact I really hate it.  Why can't I just be, well... perfect?  Stop laughing.  I've wanted to do things perfectly since I can remember.  It's a curse for obvious reasons.  Anyway, one of the major challenges with homeschooling is what to do with my younger two?  Very spicy and high maintenance little red heads.  It's nearly impossible for me to enjoy math/grammar/reading when I have a crying baby and/or mischievous toddler in the background.  There's no denying it.  Lauren has an evil gift for finding trouble.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And this picture has nothing to do with my post.  I just thought it was funny. We have some really obnoxious neighbor kids the girls wish would move (yea, I do too).  They just said something ornery to Sarah and Abbey.  The expression on their faces tells the whole story doesn't it? 

7 comments:

Laura said...

Wait, did you just write that or did I?

Tami said...

You are such a great mom, Niki. I bet your girls love having you as their "teacher." And I love the photo--classic!

R said...

You're awesome and I love ya lots. -Becki

Denise said...

Hi Niki! What a great post! What did those bratty kids say to sweet Sarah and Abbey? And they said it right in front of you? The nerve!
Denise Anger

Emily said...

I had no idea that you were doing this. I think it is great! I can't tell you how many times I have thought about home schooling as well. I always come to the same conclusion: I'd have to put my younger 3 in day care. I am sure you are doing a fabulous job! I am really interested in hearing more about this!
We keep talking about Disneyland, Are you still up for visitors? We almost have all our children walking and none on the way. WOW!

Niki said...

Emily,
We may not have a lot of floor space, but what we have is all yours!! Just let me know when you're coming and The Hotel Dougal is free of charge. Seriously, we would LOVE to see you guys!

Nicole said...

Huh, THOSE eyes speak thousand words.