Sunday, January 18, 2009

curriculum

Yes, another homeschooling post.  My best advice is.. get used to it.  It's like trying to hold back the tide.  So here goes.  Curriculum.  I did quite a bit of research into this, and let me tell you..there are literally thousands, probably even tens (hundreds?) of thousands, of different curriculum to choose from.  I finally found one that gave me that tingly feeling of "ahhhh yes.. this is exactly what I've been looking for."  It just made sense to me.  The main book I'm following is  The Well-Trained Mind, A Guide to Classical Education at Home.  It's basically a step by step guide of how and what to teach per grade level.  Heavy on the history, reading, and writing.  So far I've really enjoyed her book recommendations, especially the grammar and history books.  Great, great material.  Another book I really enjoyed was A Thomas Jefferson Education, which stresses the importance of mentoring and teaching from the classics.(Yep Laura, we're totally on the same page)  Good stuff to pack away in the grey matter, even if you're not homeschooling.  Ok, I could go on and on about what I chose for math, spelling, handwriting, etc, etc.  But figuring out how to do all those amazon links was a serious pain in the rear.  I'm going to bed.  Night all.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

LOVED "The Well Trained Mind"! I have a few of her other things as well....still a bit over Anna's head, but I'll be introducing "First Language Lessons" soon. I've been dragging my feet on that. And did you know Hannah Thomas that moved into this ward? She's using the Thomas Jefferson method. She let me borrow some DVDs by Oliver DeMille....they were very interesting to listen to.

But really...those two methods are quite different....and I think I'm somewhere in between.
I'd love to chat with you about it.

Nicole said...

Sorry...me again! Which math curriculum are you using? I almost went with Abeka (can't remember how to spell it) but ended up doing Math U See. And I could go off on how much I love it. Read the book "Outliers" sometime. In a nutshell there is a segment about why Asian kids WAY out perform us at math. It's not that they have an affinity for it....it's their concept of numbers....more concrete. (And they work really hard too...but that's another topic)

Anyway, I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying it. Wish you were here so we could team up!