Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sisters

I've been thinking about my sister today.   We spent almost two weeks at her house over spring break and had so much fun!!  I really, really, REALLY love my sister!  Funny thing is, it wasn't always this way.  I don't think I really appreciated my sister until after she left for college. In fact, upon her leaving, I recall feelings of great joy.  Freedom from tyranny and all that.  No, we were definitely not close growing up.  But I always admired her and wanted very much to be like her.   She seemed so popular and confident.  Not to mention beautiful, intelligent, independent, etc., etc.  After I graduated from high school, we lived near each other at BYU.  And now, aside from my husband, she is my very best friend.  I tell this to my daughters when they fight.  Quite frankly, they adore their aunt and don't believe me when I tell them it took us twenty years to become friends.  I adore their aunt too.  Our lives have thrown us so many curves!  She has taken hers head on and is honestly one of the strongest, kindest women I have ever known.  
We came from sunny Cal to snow nearly every day.  The kids had a blast with their cousins and regularly beg to go back!
I love this picture!  My sister can't sit down without one of my girls claiming her lap.  I don't think she minds.

4 comments:

Tami said...

I agree--sisters are the best! And my 3 sisters and I are way better friends now than we were during those growing up years. Thank goodness for sisters.

Amy G. said...

that was really sweet niki. hurray for sisters!

Heather said...

I adore my sister! I cannot imagine how rough life would be without my daily call to her!

Cheri said...

Thank you so much Nik! You are the best and I don't know what I'd do without you! Although as I recall I was a very loving, supportive, caring, sensitive, etc, etc, big sister when we were kids;) I love you very much and treasure the time I spend with you and my beautiful nieces and nephew!