Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Friends

Brent reminded me the other day that my fifteen year high school reunion will be this summer.  Am I seriously that old!?  There are times when I still feel eighteen, and then I look in the mirror.  Hmmm...an awesome husband, four lovely children, and twenty extra (not so lovely) pounds tell me differently.  My childhood best friend called the other day.  I met her at a beach house nearby and spent the afternoon catching up.  It really was wonderful to see her.  We were inseparable as children but grew apart after high school.  She moved to Oregon and married while I went to college and...er..studied for the next seven years.  I really did study.. a little.  I also had a whole lot of fun.  My college years were such a defining time for me.  I guess the simplest way to say it is..I grew up.  I became an adult.  My identity and my life goals became clear to me. And then I was blessed to find a companion who shared those same goals.  Now we are six and life is so good!  I quite literally thank God for every day.  For anybody reading this who doesn't already know it, let me tell you, FAMILY is where it's at. Even with the big, bad, ugly days that come now and then, it just doesn't get any better than this.

And here's my childhood best friend and I,  thirty plus years and four children each later.  Look closely.  Can you see the two rowdy ten year olds we used to be?

No comments: