Thursday, February 5, 2009

25 Random Things

I got this tag on facebook way too many times and was finally guilted into doing it. Truth is, I really enjoyed reading other peoples 25 random things. And I had fun doing it too. So to get the most milage out of the hour and a half it took me to write these, I thought I'd post them here too. So enjoy getting to know me better. I'd love to hear yours.
1. I've never watched a horror movie. Ok, not totally true. I watched the first ten minutes of The Exorcist when I was ten and it's haunted me ever since.
2. I have a love/hate relationship with tiger tails. You know, those cream filled, coconut covered raspberry zingers? I seriously I CANNOT resist them if they are in my house. I love how they taste and I hate my lack of self control when I'm around them. They are EVIL... in a delicious sort of way.
3. I married the perfect man for me.
4. In another life I would have been an Ob/GYN. Or maybe a nurse midwife.
5. Hello. My name is Niki and I'm addicted to science fiction. Every now and then I just NEED it! And if it has dragons then it's even better. One of my favorites is Ender's Game. I highly recommend it. But just so your not disappointed, it doesn't have any dragons.
6. Where ever we move, I need to find at least two "sister friends". This is essential to my well being. I don't need a lot of friends. Just a couple that I can truly share my heart with.
7. I'm a potter and love "playing in the mud". Throwing pots is fun but I absolutely love sculpting. Someday when the kids are grown.....
8. I could never be a vegetarian. Seriously, is there anything better than good prime rib?
9. Raising children is one of the greatest joys of my life. I LOVE being my kid's mom. If my pregnancies were easier and I wasn't getting so dang old, I swear I would have six more.
10. I always sleep better when it's raining outside. The smells and the sounds are so relaxing to me.
11. I can keep a secret.
12. I like to roll tape. I know, it sounds weird. It IS weird. Brent teases me about it all the time. My little OCD secret. I roll a piece of it into a tube and then just play with it. I like the way the sticky part feels on my hands but it doesn't actually come off and make my hands sticky. OH man...i need help.
13. I have a special love for older folks. I love spending time with them and hearing the stories of their life. And I think they are so incredibly beautiful and interesting.
14. You will win over my heart if you love my kids.
15. I love eating fresh peas and asparagus. Right out of the garden and uncooked. They kind of taste like strawberries.
16. Big skies and open country. I can just breath easier there. Big cities make me feel claustrophobic and anxious. Funny considering we live just outside of L.A. There is just something about green trees and big blue sky. My grandparents used to live near some mint fields. Have you ever smelled a freshly cut mint field? If not, then you should.
17. I homeschool my kids and love it. I never thought I would. In fact I was kind of anti homeschool growing up. They were always those really weird kids who never quite fit in. What I'm realizing now is that they're parents were weird too. Kids usually turn out like their parents. Hmm.. dare I ask it? Do our kids have any hope?!! Don't answer that.
18. I love the way my kids sing and dance. They're so full of passion and wild abandon! The song moves them and they SING! Even though they... well.. perhaps the talent will come later? I wish I had that confidence and could put it out there like that.
19. I love to cook. Not because of the actual cooking itself. The truth is I really love to eat and I like my cooking the best. So..I cook.
20. I'm really bad at small talk. I try, really I do. It just seems so superficial and superficial makes me uncomfortable... or untrusting maybe? Just what are you hiding anyway?
21. Along those same lines, I really don't like talking on the phone. So much of communication is NOT verbal communication that it's always better to talk in person. My second choice would be written communication. At least then you have time to really think about how you're phrasing things and what you're saying.
22. Next to my husband, my sister is my best friend. I don't know what I'd do with out her. She's exempt from my "little phone problem" because I need to talk to her at least once a week.
23. My three favorite appliances are my Nikon D60, my Apple computer, and my Bosch mixer. I want to have their children.
24. Documentaries are awesome!! Especially ones about the ocean or foreign countries. There's this show called Globe Trekker that used to be on PBS. It's gone down hill a little in the last year or so, but the older ones are so good!
25. I love the teachings of the Mormon church. It's brought me more joy in my life than I ever thought possible. If you haven't yet, read the Book of Mormon. It has the answers you're looking for. And by following Christ's teachings you read in there you can have a joyful, meaningful, and fulfilling life. This is a truth I've found by doing.

3 comments:

Amy G. said...

Love it...so many new things I didn't know about you! I tried to do that tag, but when I realized the first one would have been, "Cannot perform on demand," I quit. Maybe when I've found several hours to sit and think about it, I'll try again :)

Laura said...

You've got a sister in Seattle...if you ever happen to move here.

Niki said...

What are you doing?!! Now I want to move to Seattle!