Friday, February 6, 2009

California Rolls

Growing up we were definitely a meat and potatoes kind of family.  Would you like frozen corn or peas with that?  With maybe the occasional can of green beans thrown in now and then for variety.  We bought a cow each spring to butcher in the fall and  VOILA!  A freezer full of beef for the year.  Except for that time my mom went on a health food binge.  I have some traumatic memories of beef tongue and lentil bean loaf.  Nasty stuff!  So I find myself falling into the same trap occasionally.  (Not the health food freakiness, the other one.)  I had serious deja vu last night when Sarah asked me if we were having frozen peas or corn for dinner.  Dang it!  So today at the grocery store I ventured out a bit.  And to all my adventurous and worldly wise friends out there - why didn't you tell me how good these are? California Rolls.  I think I ate about twelve of them at dinner!  Of course my older two hated them.  But I have hope for Ty and Lauren.  Guess that's one of those things where you have to start em young?  We're definitely not sushi snobs... yet.  From what I understand "California roll eaters" are on the low end of the totem pole.  White people who are too chicken to eat the real thing.  NOT experiencing the genuine sushi experience.  And you know what?  I'm totally ok with that.  Hey, it's a step up from frozen corn.  Although my older two might disagree.

3 comments:

Kirbell said...

Way to change it up. I'm not a very picky eater but Sushi isn't really my thing. I can't handle the seaweed...

Heather B said...

I laughed so hard at this post, because what's on the shelf in my pantry? Green beans. And what's in my freezer? Frozen peas and frozen corn. Oh wait--there's a bag of frozen mixed veggies! How'd that get in there?! Good for you for trying something new. That often backfires at our house. oh well. At least Dallin ate his steamed fresh asparagus tonight with gusto. Can't say as much for any of the other boys.

Nicole said...

WHAT!? You've NEVER had them? And yes...start em young! Barrett and I both love sushi so out girls are die hard. They'd eat anything in the shape of a sushi roll. I, like you though, prefer everything cooked. But there's a world of rolls out there that are different from California rolls that don't have anything raw in them. But there's nothing wrong with California rolls!!

Are you a wasabi fan? That's my favorite part. Put a bit of wasabi and a piece of ginger in your soy sauce before dipping.....mmmmmm...heaven.

Check out PW...she just did a series of posts on her cooking portion for sushi. I want to make it so bad!! (Wow...long comment about sushi. Can you tell I'm passionate?)