Monday, May 4, 2009

A walk in the gardens

The kids and I had this experience the other day.  It felt meaningful to me and I still can't exactly explain why.  On our walk through the gardens we met an old woman collecting pine cones.  Her arms were full of them as she stood on the side of the trail smiling at us.  Her eyes were drinking in my children and she kept smiling and bowing to me.  We obviously didn't speak the same language but I was thoroughly enjoying our communication nonetheless.  I was just thinking to myself how  truly beautiful grandmothers are with their twinkly eyes and soft skin, when her pants fell down.  To the ground.   Her arms were full and I could tell she couldn't bend down easily.  I quickly bent down and pulled her pants up, buckled the front, smiled a little sheepishly at her,  and went on my way.  And I just loved her!  In my heart it felt like she was my grandmother and I was so glad to be able to help her.  The world felt small and  I knew she was my sister, a little further along in life than me, but my sister nonetheless.  I know it sounds cliche, but in that moment I felt we really are sent here to help and care for one another. And I felt honored for the tiny chance I had to take care of her.

1 comment:

Laura said...

What a funny lovely snippet of time.