Sunday, December 14, 2008

smart home

So for those of you who don't know me, one of my somewhat obsessive hobbies is learning how to simplify, cut back, minimize.  If you haven't used it in a year, then for heaven's sake, throw it out!  Let it clutter up someone else's garage.  You get the picture.  So I've been reading this book and I gotta say, it's pretty good!  The main idea is to buy higher quality "home goods" that work great and if possible, live longer than you do.  One thing she recommends is tossing all your nonstick cookware/utensils and using cast iron pans with a stainless steel spatula.  I read that and laughed.  Visions of scraping nasty burned scrambled eggs off of some old cast iron pot came rushing back.  Of course, we were camping, and I was ten.  So anyway, I decided to try it again and picked one up at a local discount store.  And I love it!!  It works just like non-stick (seriously, it does), but you don't have to worry about a high temp.  It sears meat perfectly and because of the even heating, fried eggs don't get those crusty, hard edges.  Ok, it's late and I'm beginning to sound a little freaky about cooking.  So there you have it.  My "home goods" discovery for the week.  Night all.  

3 comments:

Lana said...

I wonder if it's too late to let Santa know about that book for my stocking...

Amy G. said...

I'm headed to the library right now :)

kimara said...

after reading your book recommendation i decided to buy the book. i always feel weird buying myself stuff right before Christmas, so i will wrap it and put it under the tree. the tag will be "to: kimara, from: niki" so... thanks!