Friday, March 28, 2008

Are these all yours?!

Without fail I hear this, or something like it, whenever I'm out with my children.  "Are these all yours?" "Wow, you've got your hands full."  "Aren't you a busy mom!"  "So.. you got your boy.  You must be done now."  And here's my personal favorite, "you guys making  your own Brady bunch?" I heard that beauty just yesterday.  Now, I grew up in a family with four children.  I don't recall feeling like a spectacle whenever we went out, but apparently times have changed. In all fairness, there is the occasional Grandma who looks at me with those soft, crinkly, grandma eyes, and recognizes my children for the glorious gifts they are.  She'll praise them and tell me how blessed I am.  I read a woman's blog today who lost two babies to two different, but equally devastating, diseases.  Truly, it broke my heart.  Although some people may claim differently, I know my children give my life purpose and meaning. (I am mother, hear me ROAR!)  They are my greatest treasure.  Yes, there are moments when I think if I have to yell "flush and wash your hands!!" one more time, I'll go completely insane.  But there are countless other times when I know with certainty there is no greater work than raising these particular children.   I followed Lauren around at the beach the other day just watching her flit from one thing to the next.  She left this perfect little footprint on a rock near the tide pools.  It was so sweet and so symbolic.  I knew within minutes it would dry in the sun and be gone.  My heart got that "mother ache" that happens when you know your children are growing up.   Stop growing!!  Stay little for just a few more years!!  "Are all these yours?!"  Silly question.  Yes, all these, and hopefully, someday.. more.

10 comments:

Deanna said...

Niki,

You are amazing and so right--chldren are miracles and gifts from God that should be cherished and admired for the works of perfection and innocence that they truly are. I love you and love seeing your family grow. I know that you are a wonderful mother and that Heavenly Father has blessed you with wonderful children.

Nicole said...

THis is beautiful. I just love that story about Lauren and the picture. Very true. And my heart has been aching as I've tried to comprehend the feelings a parent might have after losing a child. I haven't put Luke down for more than a few minutes today after reading the Gourleys tender story. I am very grateful for their willingness to share it...I think it helps us to show our children more love...understanding they are entrusted to us. Sometimes for years, sometimes for days, but regardless, their tender years are fleeting.

On the header of their blog it says "Be kinder than necessary because everyone is fighting some kind of battle." I love that.

Thanks for this "Perspective Post"

Amy G. said...

i loved hearing that niki. thanks! and the picture of lauren's footprint is so precious.

littlest said...

thank you niki. perfect timing for your post. my children are sicker than anything right now with fevers, etc. something that i hate to see them go through. mary just had a fever seizure which always freaks me out...but in the end i am again reminded what precious commodities i have. how i never want them to grow up or get hurt, etc...which are both inevitable. anywho, just trying to love them more everyday which isn't too hard! :0)

Leah Miller said...

I didn't know you had a blog...now I know so I can keep up on you and your family. AND Thanks for your amazing thoughts on children. My view on the world and on life will forever be changed now that I have a child.

Audra Bollard said...

Beautifully written. It is sad that our world doesn't recognize children for the gift that they are. You will be the lucky one someday when you are surrounded by your children and grandchildren and so many will be alone.

Heather said...

Niki, thanks for sharing! I need a reminder every once in awhile when Esther is being a pill. It really helps me be more kind and patient.

Heather B said...

Niki,

It was so fun to read your insights. I've been getting comments like that for years, and I always have to laugh when people ask, "How do you manage?" My pat answer, "Not very gracefully!" We do what we can with what we have, and just try to enjoy the ride, right? Thanks for helping me remember to savor those little moments.

KP said...

I love you. What a powerfully uplifting woman of faith you are. Thanks for posting such a beat!

Heather O. said...

You tell those people, 'Nah, my kids are MUCh cuter than the Brady Bunch".