Saturday, March 26, 2011

Friends

I read somewhere how friendship changes over the course of a woman's life. As a teenager/young adult, friends are everything. Later, in the busyness of childrearing, friendships taper off simply because of time constraints. Then somewhere in our forties, we re-visit that need for dear friends when we have more time for ourselves.
When I read that I thought "well, how ridiculous!" A woman needs sister/friends nearly as much as the air she breathes!!
And it's true I tell you. The need doesn't leave just because you're raising five kids and can hardly find the time to screw on your head. It just goes unfulfilled for a while.
Having low maintenance friends definitely helps. The kind that know you love them without a daily phone call. Years apart can pass and it feels just the same when you finally do get together. I love that!
On the other hand, I hate it when years pass between visits! Can you tell I felt lonely for a sister/friend today? I wanted to be with a dear friend, several came to mind actually, but couldn't seem to find the time to even pick up the phone.
And I love this childrearing time in my life.. wouldn't want to rush it or change it. But still, I look forward to my forties when I can make more time for friends.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Is that why the last two baby showers I've gone to, no one left until nearly 11 o'clock pm? It's definitely a need that I fulfill whenever I can.

jenerekfamily said...

I feel it too, girl! We're here waiting for you when life slows down again. :)