Monday, July 19, 2010

My Garden

I don't think I've ever mentioned that my mom was a fabulous gardener. At one point she had nearly a quarter acre planted in fruit trees, squash, melons, tomatoes, and such.
I always imagined my life would be similar. A small town somewhere. A country house with a wrap around porch. Lots of land to garden and maybe raise a beef cow on each summer.
I never imagined raising five children in a highly metropolitan area. In one tiny apartment with a community yard we share with a hundred other people. Instead of mountains we have the beach nearby. Instead of homemade tree houses we have spotless, city maintained "play structures".
But I do love the beach. And play structures can be really fun. As you well know, life seldom turns out like we imagine. We've had both trials and blessing I couldn't have predicted. And great lessons learned while in the midst of both.
And I can still be a gardener of sorts. Instead of flowers I'm raising children. Teaching them modesty and integrity. How to work hard and appreciate the blessings God grants them. It's infinitely more challenging than raising tomatoes.

I still think about my Mom's garden sometimes. And maybe someday when the children are grown..

For now, I am content. Who has time for that other garden nonsense anyway? I'm growing children and mine want to go to the beach.

2 comments:

Niki said...

Ok Mom, if we get a garden, let's plant corn, lemons, apples, pears, etc.
Sarah

Nicole said...

Oh, I'm laughing at Sarah's comment. I grew up with a huge garden and really just took it for granted (all I knew is that it meant lots of weeding...the food? I never knew anything different). But NOW? My kids know the difference. And they like to dream of what we'll plant in ours too. I know...we can be neighbors and share food gardens and children gardens! :o)