Thursday, August 4, 2011

priorities

I made a list yesterday of the most important things I'd like/have to do on any given day. It went something like this..
  • budget
  • exercise
  • read scriptures
  • play with kids
  • clean house
  • plan/prepare meals
Then I read a book for the next three hours.
After that, I numbered my list according to their importance and thought about the amount of time I put toward each. And I realized something. My priorities need a serious course correction! For example, if cleaning house is number six in importance, then why am I spending so much of my time doing it!? Does the amount of time you spend on something represent it's true value to you? It seems like is should, doesn't it? Point is, I'm thinking about this. I want to spend the most time on the things that are the most important to me. Honestly, I don't know if that's possible. It's just.. well.. it's complicated! So what do you think? Possible? Not possible? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Life seems to get in the way of my priorities. For example, I'd love to play with the kids but... there is a large mountain of laundry looming, the kitchen sink if full of dirty dishes, and my sinuses are aching and I just want to take a nap. Suddenly, the problems seem more important than playing with the kids and so I take a snooze, then do the laundry and dishes, and suddenly it's time to make dinner. There goes playtime. This kind of thing seems to happen everyday. I'm not sure how to ignore the "less important" things to do what's more important - playing with the kids, exercising, studying the scriptures, etc. I think it's possible - it should be possible. I just have NO IDEA how to do it!