Monday, April 19, 2010

And then there were more..

Just seconds after his birth she laid him on my stomach and asked me if it was anything like the first time. And I wasn't sure what to say. The first time was glorious and new. I was full of awe and felt closer to God than I ever had before. But also overwhelmed and uncertain. Afraid of not being strong or wise enough to give this little person all that they would need.

No, of course this wasn't like the first time. I now know with certainty I'm not strong or wise enough. But I also know it doesn't matter. I have enough. I left the fear and uncertainty somewhere in my twenties, and now I just give what I have.
Is the sense of awe still there? That feeling of nearness to God on the day Owen was born? Absolutely! Everything about it was absolutely right. As I watched my five children on the day Owen came home, the feeling of Joy was unmistakeable. We need him and he needs us.
Owen Jerold Dougal
born April 16, 2010
7 lbs 14 oz

14 comments:

Trixie said...

Congrats! He's so precious :)

Mormishmom said...

He's beautiful - can you say that about baby boys? LOL

The Birches said...

Congratulations Dougals!!!! I can't wait to meet little Owen! He is perfect! :)

Kristi Smemoe said...

What a beautiful story! Glad to hear he is home, healthy and heaven sent (as all babies are!)

The Barlow Family said...

He is Adorable! Congratulations! We love you guys. Tell Brent & the kids hello. We definitely need to see this Super cute baby soon. Maybe we'll have to take a road trip.

Heather B said...

Congrats to you all! He's beautiful, just like the rest of you. Take care, and give all of those little Dougals a hug from us. Yay to baby boys--of course, I may be a bit partial...

Much love,
Heather

Cherie said...

I LOVE new babies. Congrats! He is beautiful!

Amy G. said...

Soooo precious! Congratulations!!!

Karyli said...

What a beautiful addition. Congrats!

Emily said...

Hooray! What a doll!! Welcome to the world Owen!

Janie said...

He really is a good-looking baby - Congratulations!! I loved your thoughts on this post too. Hopefully I can meet him soon!

Laura said...

lovely

Nicole said...

Oh! So sweet! The photos are just precious as is your story. Congratulations to you and your family. And...we love that name...just a heads up....it may appear in our family someday (though we aren't sure what people will think about Luke and Owen).

Lynette said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful!